If I had to use one word to describe farm 12, it would be 'lovely'. Lovely people, lovely farm, lovely place. Located on the tiny 10km2 island of Thetis, Jollity Farm is aptly named. The farmers and their son live there, currently with two long term wwoofers. As well as a 35 person vegetable CSA, they also have pigs, goats, chickens and ducks. The work was varied and really enjoyable, despite a week long sub zero frost that meant that the regular work of weeding and planting was put on hold, in favour of bean shucking, tidying and sorting, and building projects.
One of the things that drew me to the farm was their passion for creativity, and that really threads through the place. I felt more inspired creatively and about life than I have in months, and I think it's a direct result of being around other creative people. The house and buildings are full of art and creative flourishes wherever you look - from upcycled pallets to sculptures in the flower beds. This farm was precisely what I needed. My month on Cortes was a really self-reflective and enlightening time, and going to Thetis really helped me to focus on where I'm going and what I want to do with my life. No firm answers yet, but I feel like things are becoming more coherent. It's was also a fun couple of weeks - the farmers and other wwoofers were great, and conversation is always flowing and interesting. And not to forget the food - they are serious foodies, and as a result, my stomach has been well fed. Thai curries, sushi, moroccan stews, french pies, brioche have all been created in the kitchen on a regular basis. The well stocked larder has meant I've been able to indulge my love of asian cooking with Beef Rendang and Gadu Gadu one night.
The island itself is a cute little place with some beautiful coastline. With just 10km2 of land and a mere 350 people living there, life is quiet. There's not a proper store on the island, but a regular ferry to Vancouver Island means you don't feel too disconnected. On my days off I was able to explore most of the island, clambering over rocks, dipping my toes in the sea, and hanging out with sea otters and eagles, seals and purple starfish.
It's also been a good experience regarding the city living/country living debate that's going on in my brain. The hosts used to live in the city, but get their fix of what I love about the city from a regular stream of friends visiting, and regular trips down to Victoria. Definitely food for though...
No comments:
Post a Comment